Life on Cottage Hill: PAGES

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Time seems to be moving even faster than normal and this week was no exception. Between a last-minute trip to NYC, trying to squeeze in final training runs for a 7 mile race this weekend, soaking up Jackson & Audrey time and enjoying some of the most beautiful weather.... life is so crazy and it is so good. 



I was only in NYC for about 24 hours, but I'm not sure you can ever really visit that city without at least one somewhat random story. For us, this time, it involved our dinner location. We had been given the recommendation to go to a restaurant in SoHo called "La Esquina" which was supposed to be the best Mexican food in the city. 

So, before dinner I ran to the hotel to check-in since I hadn't yet had time to do that and was then going to meet my team at the restaurant. So, while I was at the hotel I looked the restaurant up on Yelp because I needed to figure out where it was located exactly. I found the address right away and then started to read a few of the reviews. Every review came with a story about how insanely hard it is to get into the restaurant, how there are these crazy door men who decide if they want to let you in or not, how the place is frequented by Beyonce and how- get this- the restaurant itself is hidden. 

On the street level it looks like a taco stand on the outside- and there is a taco stand there, but if you go inside and around the corner there is a "hidden" door to the basement. If you can get by the door men, they will let you downstairs where you are led through the kitchen, around a maze of hallways and finally to one of the most beautiful restaurants I've ever seen. I have no idea how we got in, but we did and the food was amazing. Only in New York...

By the time I got home I was exhausted- I had been up by 4:30am two days in a row to catch flights and by mid-Wednesday morning I had already been in 4 states: New York, New Jersey, Kentucky and Indiana. But, luckily these two are always ready to welcome me home- in exchange, of course, for treats from "the big city" which were actually Skittles from the airport, but JP thought they were the best thing ever anyway. 
PS: Not that it was planned to be this way, but given La Esquina's status (voted multiple times as #1 in the city, I have deemed it worthy of crossing off another 30 by 30)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...