Life on Cottage Hill: PAGES

Friday, August 15, 2014

how to get a "full night's sleep" - a tutorial.


I've been back to work for almost 3 weeks now. I have been averaging less than six hours of sleep each night- and rarely have those hours been all at once. And so, yesterday, I hit my wall. I was emotionally, physically, mentally exhausted. I NEEDED some rest, but with 3 sweet babies to take care of (on my own, Dan was stuck at work until late), I needed to improvise. So, our evening went something like this:

5:30pm: Pick-up babies, come home, cuddle, dinner, play, etc.
6:45pm: Put Jonah down for a mid-evening nap (he so needed it, he's not sleeping a lot either with his poor teeth bothering him)
6:50pm: Break all rules by letting JP & AD eat a snack on the couch AND watch a show (we're crazy, I know) while I cuddle with them and close my eyes with one hand on each child so that if I fell asleep I would wake if they moved. 
7:30pm: Jonah's back up- feed him, play with him, get him in his pajamas.
8:00pm: Dan is finally home! Ask him to feed Jonah his bedtime bottle while I get the other 2 ready for bed. 
9:00pm: Break some more rules by laying with Audrey during bed time so she actually stays in her bed. I fall asleep too. 
Midnight: I wake up to Jonah crying. Go feed/cuddle him, get him back to sleep. 
12:30am: Do some cleaning up (although not enough) before crashing back in bed.
3:00am- you guessed it, the Peanut, she's awake crying. Bring her to bed with us. 
3:30am- Jonah is awake. Oh, good, because I missed him so during that 3 hour break.
5:15am- Jonah. Again. I beg Dan to try to quickly feed him before he has to leave for work in 15 minutes. THANK goodness, he is able to fit that in. 
5:50am- my alarm starts going off. Again, being the rule-breaker I am, I begin implementing the snooze button strategy and don't get up until 6:45!! It's Friday, we're getting crazy around here. 

And that, my friends, is a easy 12-step process on how to trick yourself into beliving you got a full night's sleep. No joke. I feel like a million bucks today. 

Update! I received a phone call from Jackson (& Nanna) at work- Jonah has his 1st tooth! I'm so, so happy because 1) it's a fun milestone and 2) MAYBE HE WILL SLEEP TONIGHT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...