Life on Cottage Hill: PAGES

Monday, July 19, 2010

{Homemade Baby Food} Sweet Potatoes!

Last night I set out to make sweet potato baby food and I was pleasantly surprised to realize how easy it was. The avocados and bananas had been easy too, but I had done them on a much smaller scale and there is no "cooking" involved with those- you just puree the fresh produce. The sweet potatoes went a little something like this:

First, I washed and poked holes in 3 sweet potatoes 
then placed them in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. 

Once finished baking, I set them out to cool.
Then, I simply peeled off the skin- it came right off, no tools necessary!
All 3 potatoes were pureed in the food processor.
 Check out the color! I love it. 
I added approximately 3/4 of a cup of water to thin it out a little.

 Time to fill up the freezer trays!

 Time for the verdict- he loved it!
This is his "give me more" face. 

 Could those eyes get any bigger?
I think the degree to which Jackson likes a certain food indirectly correlates with the amount on his face!

A little nutritional info on sweet potatoes! (thanks to WholesomeBabyFood.Com)

Sweet Potatoes (1 medium baked) 
VITAMINS:

Vitamin A - 24,877 mg
Vitamin C - 28.0 mg
Pantothenic Acid - .74 mg
Niacin - .69 mg
Folate - 26.2 mcg

Contains some other vitamins in small amounts. 

MINERALS:

Potassium - 273 mg
Phosphorus - 29.5 mg
Magnesium - 13.5 mg
Calcium - 6.2 mg
Sodium - 11.0 mg
Iron - .55 mg
Selenium - .5 mg
Manganese - .6 mg
Zinc - .3 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...