Life on Cottage Hill: PAGES

Saturday, July 19, 2014

10 day forecast.

Earlier today I was checking the weather for the upcoming week and realized that July 28th now shows up in the 10 day forecast. It will be partly cloudy that Monday, with a 20% chance of rain and a high of 80. 

And I'll be back to work. 

How is my time off almost over? I don't know. I guess time flies when you're not sleeping having fun. But, I do know that the next few weeks will bring a slew of self doubts and irrational fears. The emotional roller coaster has begun. 

And so I started doing what I always do when something is upsetting me:

1. I went for a run. It didn't happen until almost 9:00pm tonight but I went and ran a few miles until it was too dark to be safe. The thing with running for a person who's head won't stop thinking is that it gets to be too exhausting even to think, so you can finally turn off all the worries for awhile.

2. I wrote. Writing for me is therapy because it's how I best process things. 

3. I organized (well, still in the process of that one...). When in doubt, organize :). I make lists, write out instructions (more like manuals) for how to care for my babies, I start throwing out clutter (or what the children refer to as toys ;)), I write strategies for how I'm going to keep the house in order once I'm working full-time again. I go a little overboard. But, that's okay. I know it won't all last- the organization- but it helps me realize that it's all going to be okay because we can always take a time-out when things get tough and re-sort, re-organize, re-evaluate where we're at and what we need to do to get to where we want to be.

4. And lastly and certainly not least importantly, I can very easily articulate why it is I'm doing what I'm doing. This purpose-driven clarity was the one thing that helped me the most when I went back to work after the peanut- being clear with myself on why I'm working. For me, it's a great many reasons, but they are good, solid ones that are in the best interest of our family. They are reasons that are laying the foundation for our future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...