Life on Cottage Hill: PAGES

Friday, September 3, 2010

Upcoming Adventures

I am so excited that tonight is the beginning to a long Labor Day weekend. Not only do I have Monday off of work because of the holiday, I also took off Tuesday so that I could have 4 full days with my little man and Dan. This long weekend is much needed for a couple of reasons. One because I can never get enough time with Jackson in general, but two because next Sunday I will be leaving my baby for the first time over night... and I will be leaving him for 5 nights and 6 days to be exact. Deep breaths, deep breaths. I tear up every time I think about it, but I know he will be in the best hands- his daddy's and both his grandmas are only minutes away. The reason I will be leaving is that I am going on a business trip to Singapore. Singapore?

 There it is, over there (WAY over there) between Australia and India in southeast Asia. I am ALWAYS up for an adventure and this trip will be that. I will be flying there for 2 days of meetings and will have 1 day to explore before flying back home. The flights alone encompass 1.5 days each way. I am very thankful that I will be flying business class. I don't mean that in a snobbish, high-maintenance way at all, but having flown to Asia before and being a semi-claustrophobic person I know that not having to fly coach makes an enormous difference (more space, more food/drinks/snacks/whatever you want, unlimited movies, etc.) I am also grateful that I will have a wonderful travel partner on this trip, my fabulous colleague Laura. I have gone solo on previous international trips and while I did just fine, I did have some anxiety-filled moments to say the least... picture me in Tokyo with no cell phone service, no Japanese language skills, no maps, 1.5 hours away from my hotel and no idea how to get there. 

Once I get home from Singapore and I glue myself to my son who I am sure I will not let go of for at least a day month year EVER, we will be home for a couple of weeks and then Dan, Jackson and I will be flying to Denver to meet our newest niece Violet! This will be JP's first flight and will be his first chance to meet his Aunt Sarah and Uncle Brian in person as well. We are so excited to see them!

Finally, in early November Jackson and I will be going to New York City with my mom, Aunt Pam and cousin Ashlee. This trip just evolved over the past week. My mom and I were talking in general about travel and how she would like to go to NYC sometime to meet up with an old friend and I thought, hey, lets just go, it would be great to take a trip together and show JP NYC and the big bonus is that my Aunt Pam and Ashlee are now going with us as well! I am so excited to spend a long weekend with them and with Jackson exploring the city. 

Following our trip to NYC will come the holidays. Did I just say THE HOLIDAYS? And after the holidays come (take a deep breath)... Jackson's first birthday! What? Where has my baby gone? I need him to stay my baby forever. Can we arrange for that to happen please? I mean, seriously, look at this face... 





 So, with a lot of amazing adventures on the horizon, enjoying this weekend is even more important. Soaking up all of my Jackson and Dan time and trying not to have too many freak-out-moments when I realize that in a week I will be away from them for nearly a week. Breathe, Jessica, breathe. I just need to keep reminding myself that 1. Jackson will be in great hands, 2. this will be FAR harder on me than on him and 3. I always want my children to know me for setting the example of taking advantage of every opportunity presented to me- no matter how hard or scary.. and realizing for myself once again that "the thrill of soaring often begins with the fear of falling."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...