Life on Cottage Hill: PAGES

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

August 24, 2010

As I was going through some photos that Dan & I took of Jackson tonight I received an email from my good friend and Purdue mentor, Bridget, who has 3 beautiful (or should I say handsome?) little boys of her own. She was passing along an article she had received on parenting advice and reminders spoken from the child's point of view. I really enjoyed reading through these bits of wisdom and wanted to share with you  as well- many of these are very much so in line with how Dan and I will raise all of our children- I have intertwined some photos from our cuddle/play time with JP tonight right before he went to bed (hence the VERY droopy eyes!). Thanks, BWG, for sharing! 

 Don't spoil me. I know quite well that I ought not to have all that I ask for. I am only testing you.





Don't be afraid to be firm with me. I prefer it. It lets me know where I stand.
Don't use force with me. It teaches me that power is all that counts. I will respond more readily towards being led.





Don't be inconsistent. That confuses me, and makes me try harder to get away with everything I can.

Don't make promises that you may not be able to keep. That will discourage my trust in you.
Don't fall for my provocations when I say and do things just to upset you. If you do, then I'll try for more such victories.

Don't be too upset when I say, "I hate you." I don't mean it but I want you to feel sorry for what you have done to me.
Don't make me feel smaller than I am. I will make up for it by behaving like a "big shot."


Don't do things for me that I can do for myself. It makes me feel like a baby and I may continue to put you in my service.





Don't let my bad habits get me a lot of your attention. It only encourages me to continue them.
Don't correct me in front of people. I'll take more notice if you talk quietly with me in private.

Don't try to discuss my behavior in the heat of a conflict. For some reason my hearing is not very good at this time-my cooperation is even worse.
It is fine to take the action required by my behavior, but please let me know why I'm being punished, and that even if you might hate what I did, you don't hate who I am.
Don't try to preach to me. You'd be surprised how well I know what's right and wrong.

Don't make me feel that my mistakes are sins. I have to learn to make mistakes without feeling that I'm no good.
Don't nag. If you do, I shall have to protect myself by appearing deaf.

Let me know when I have done something that you like. If you let me know how I did it right, that makes it easier for me to please you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...